Workshops at Member Schools
WORKSHOPS AT MEMBER SCHOOLS
Identity, Otherness, and Privilege
8 - One Hour Sessions (2 weeks, Monday thru Thursday)
June 8-18, 2020 | 1:30PM - 2:30 PM | $175.00
This course is designed to augment and enhance the experience of individuals who work within the fields of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in independent schools in Florida.
The workshop will be designed around 3 components:
- Open Conversations in Brave Spaces
It is essential for students to have the ability to interact with the diverse and rich cultures of the world, not only with the people within their community. Diversity and inclusion are not about just what people look like, but also about diversity of thought, diversity of access, and diversity of experience. The more exposure our children have to the ideas of equity and inclusion, the better prepared global leaders they will become. In order to create these global citizens, students, faculty, staff, administrators, board members, and PARENTS have to dive deeply into the areas of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion by looking at their own identities.
Identity work is the basis for engaging conversations and the ability to see the world through a lens contradictory to our own.
Diversity Initiative at Riverside | July 7-10
Session one: July 7-8, 2020 - Preschool & Elementary Educators
Session two: July 9-10, 2020 - Middle & High School Educators
Riverside Presbyterian Day School
830 Oak Street
Jacksonville, FL 32204
Cost: $495 per person for each two-day session or $950 for both sessions
Join other educators for a two-day collaborative training experience guided by nationally known diversity trainer, Rosetta Eun Ryong Lee.
The Diversity Initiative at Riverside is intended to promote personal growth and pedagogical approaches that support equity-minded education and global competencies in our schools.
Learn how to implement critically conscious practices such as:
• Pre-school and Elementary educators will learn about stages of early awareness of difference and developmentally appropriate diversity work in the classroom and beyond.
• Middle and High School educators will learn about experiences across difference and inclusive classroom practices that improve outcomes for all.
• Work collaboratively to explore curricular approaches, activities, lessons and units of study.
• Engage with educators from other schools.
• Gain practical resources to further the diversity and inclusion work at your school.
The Diversity Initiative at Riverside is suitable for all PreK–12 educators, especially:
• Teachers interested in integrating a diversity, equity and inclusion framework into their teaching practice.
• School librarians, instructional coaches, department chairs, or school counselors who can find useful applications for the materials presented.
• Administrators and Diversity Practitioners hoping to transform their schools and better support their faculty/staff engaging in this work.
• Develop activities, lessons, and units of study that promote an understanding of the value of diversity and inclusion.
• Identify your current teaching practice and set goals for incorporating meaningful diversity, equity and inclusion pedagogy into daily teaching.
• Connect with other educators to deepen understanding, provide inspiration, and promote learning.
PEACE AND JUSTICE INSTITUTE (PJI)
hosted by Valencia College
June 21-26 and July 12-17
As we navigate through our current global crisis, the PJI Academy for Teachers extends an invitation to all educators who are leading the way for our students and teachers to become resilient, lifelong learners. We realize that many of us have added the role of a teacher to our diverse set of responsibilities. With that understanding we open the PJI Academy for Teachers to all educators from Pre-K through higher education who wish to create more inclusive, respectful, compassionate and loving classrooms and citizens.
Zoom with topics to continue our journey toward more equitable practices including:
- PJI Principles for How We Treat Each Other
- Equity minded practices
- Systems of privilege and oppression
- Cycle of Racism
- Trauma sensitive spaces and resilience
- Emotional intelligence
- Gender equity
- Mindfulness practices